Friday, January 31, 2014

Book 4: Doomed by Chuck Palahniuk

Title: Doomed
Author: Chuck Palahniuk
Length: 329 pages
Year Written: 2013
Why I chose this book: This was part two to Damned, which I read last year (and loved), and my friend Kiara got me this book for Christmas.

It's the last day of January, and I've just wrapped up my fourth book. Not too bad.

Let me first say that Chuck Palahniuk is one of my very favorite authors. I can't summon suitable adjectives for the way he tells the grossest, most outlandish stories with style and poise. I'd recently visited Palahniuk's website, and found out he doesn't accept fan correspondence except for during a few predetermined timeframes. Well played, Palahniuk. Way to stay in the zone. I thank you for that.

Doomed is the sequel to Damned, a story about a 13-year-old girl named Madison Spencer, born to celebrity parents (think a far more obnoxious Brad and Angelina) and killed in a sex game gone awry. She is sent to hell, where the terrain is rough (think mountains of toenail clippings and lakes of hot urine) and her neighbors are tougher (hi Hitler). Doomed follows Madison's journey as a ghost stuck on earth, after being caught on the wrong side of afterlife on Halloween night. There are far too many memorable scenes to recount gracefully, but just know that Palahniuk is never lacking in his descriptive force.

I can't imagine anyone other than Palahniuk writing about a truck stop gloryhole incident turned penile dismemberment via one thick Charles Darwin book. If it sounds crazy, it's because it is, but I couldn't imagine it any other way. There will be a book three, as I found out on Doomed's last page, and I can't wait for it.

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment