Sunday, March 23, 2014

Book 9: Persuasion by Jane Austen

Title: Persuasion
Author: Jane Austen
Length: 188 pages
Year Written: 1818
Why I chose this book: 'Persuasion' was a favorite of the protagonist in Chuck Palahniuk's books Damned and Doomed, which I read (and loved).

I "read" 'Pride and Prejudice' during my junior year of high school. I couldn't remember if I actually tried to read it and couldn't, or if I was just being a lazy asshole. When I was reminded of Jane Austen while reading another book recently (where the 13-year-old dead girl Maddy Spencer adores 'Persuasion'), I added it to my reading queue. What a mistake. I must still be an asshole, because I oh-so-barely enjoyed this novel. Even at under 200 pages, it took me a while to finish - and not for lack of trying. The language is difficult, but not the oldest writing style I've encountered this far in my bookventures. The plot is very slow, very dry, and very detailed about mundane minutiae. I actually had to look up why this book, and Austen herself, is considered so great. I know the issue lies with me, and not the book itself. I've got to pay respect. It just wasn't for me in the least bit.

I did, however, find a great review that explains what it is this book does so well, that everyone else in the world besides me seems to love: http://www.bookdrum.com/books/persuasion/9780141439686/review.html

It's a love story, like so many books are, and I can't say the end was surprising or very satisfying at all. It ends happily, but didn't make me happy. Maybe I've got to wait another eight years to take a stab at Austen appreciation.

Rating: 2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment